No matter how well you take care of your teeth, you might find yourself needing a crown or two at some point in your life. There is more than one type of crown available, and it can be confusing to know what the best type for you would be. Ceramic crowns have many benefits for anyone with broken or damaged teeth. This type of crown is also sometimes referred to as an all-ceramic, all-porcelain, or metal-free crown.
When Do You Need a Crown?
The first question to address is when crowns are needed in general. You may need a crown in the following situations:
- To support a tooth that has a large filling
- To protect a tooth that is weak and in danger of breaking
- To help hold a dental bridge in its correct position
- To help hold a dental implant in place
- To improve the appearance of the smile by covering a discolored or misshaped tooth
Benefits of Ceramic Crowns
On top of looking very natural, there are so many benefits associated with choosing ceramic crowns. Some of the highlights include:
- Strength: Being made from aluminum oxide and then covered with porcelain, these crowns are strong and unlikely to chip or break.
- Appearance: The materials used in these crowns will reflect light, making them look very similar to your natural teeth. Ceramic crowns are perfect for front teeth that are visible when you smile.
- Comfort: Unlike metal crowns, ceramic ones are not sensitive to temperature. They also tend to fit better, further adding to their comfort.
- Fit: These crowns are tailor-made so that they will fit exactly right the first time, making the whole experience quicker and more comfortable.
- Gum-Friendly: The material in these crowns is considered biocompatible, which helps encourage the gums to regrow around your tooth.
- Longevity: If you properly maintain your crown and oral hygiene, your ceramic crown can last a lifetime.
If you would like to learn more about ceramic crowns and how they may be able to benefit you, set up a time to talk to our dentist at Brevard Smiles, located in Indian Harbour Beach and Viera/Rockledge. Contact us today to book a dental appointment!